Wednesday, September 5, 2007

28 days later

so, we're nearing the one month mark of "sj: the year of the jv" and here are some things that one month ago, i never thought i would be doing today, 28 days later:

-driving f150s and suburbans full of teenagers and/or trash around 16 miles of local road
-being trained to be a eucharistic minister
-gutting & filleting fish daily
-having the highlight of most days be when the mail comes (thank you everyone!!)
-meeting the us secretary of education & alaskan senators
-teaching psychology (who uses their degree?)
-picking berries in our backyard
-getting exciting when gutting and discovering it's a female fish- yeeaaaa fish eggs!
-breaking down and spending 5 dollars for a box of triscuits
-climbing over and under the alaskan pipeline to get anywhere
-wearing sneakers
-eating school lunch (including government cheese)
-looking forward to sub-zero temps because then the mosquitos will stop biting
-loving life as a tundra woman

it's been a crazy month with lots of laughs and lots lots lots of "is this really my life?" moments- but it can only get crazier from here. thank you to everyone for the cards, emails, packages, and phone calls. i hope you have been enjoying my responses on at least a 4 hour delay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Trucker! I get so excited to ready your blog posts! I still need your address... send it to me so I can send you the card that has been sitting on my desk for a month! When you get back to the Northeast can you show me how to do this fish gutting buisness? It seems like something I have to try once in life!

Miss you! Gelch

PS... Big Mike says hello!

kq said...

why did you go all the way to AK to train to give the body of christ to people?

listen, seriously, sarah. do you have pac boots? you will need them. will you let me know for real.

you bought triscuits? we never had triscuits hen i was a jv. only 5 pound tubs of cookie dough from costco ... that was a splurge that i did NOT approve of.

xo

Anonymous said...

We hope we win for most boxes sent! If you ate Petridge Farm Goldfish there would be no gutting required but they may be your whole month's food budget!

Patty said...

Hey Sarah!
I miss you so much. It is way boring here without you. I don't laugh nearly enough. But it sounds like you are really getting into your thing there. Listen, I've been gutting fish for years! GROSS. But you're a trooper, you can handle it. I'm so proud of you. And keep up the good work.
much love,
Patty